Pelangi Publishing Group
Publishing • Printing • Multimedia • Web
Pelangi Publishing Group (PPG) has an excellent track record in book publication for the past 30 years. The company’s range of books caters to all levels of society, from pre-school children to adults. Producing an average of 700 titles a year, academic and children’s books constitute the bulk of the titles, while translated books and other general titles make up the rest. Pelangi is also involved in multimedia and web-related services that deal in quality e-books, academic CD-ROMs, children’s CD-ROMs and DVDs. Besides that, the company’s product range includes novels, comics and teaching aids, among others.
An Award-winning Publisher
Pelangi is the first Malaysian publisher to be awarded the ISO 9001: 2000 accreditation in publishing. This accreditation serves as a platform for the company to further enhance its overseas markets and place the company in a better position to meet any challenges that might arise. The company is also the first homegrown publisher to be public listed in 2004.
As a testament to its high-quality products and sensitivity to new developments in the educational sector of Malaysia, Pelangi was awarded the Enterprise 50 Awards 2000, 2001 and 2002, Superbrands 2005, Golden Bull Awards 2008 – Hall of Fame, The BrandLaureate – SMEs Chapter Awards 2009 and 2011 for Books/Digital Products, the Anugerah Buku Negara 2012, and the SMEs Signature Award 2012.
Diversification and Expansion
Thus far, PPG has exported printed books and sold rights for its existing publications to companies from numerous countries around the world. Pelangi has also formed strategic partnerships with international names such as J. K. Rowling for the publication of a Malay-language version of the Harry Potter series, publication of the bestselling Twilight series (by Stephenie Meyer), Discovery Communication Inc. for Discovery, the Walt Disney Company, Dorling Kindersley Ltd. and Usborne Publishing Ltd.
The Group has evolved into a conglomerate of companies capable of catering to all the publishing, printing, multimedia and digital needs of today’s diverse markets. Today, PPG has grown into a multi-million corporation with an annual group turnover of over RM 50 million. Currently, the company has subsidiaries and associate companies in China, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore and the United Kingdom.
PPG extends its contributions to the public good through its Corporate Responsibility Initiative, which is taken up to ensure that the Group continues to embody the principles of corporate responsibility in order to create sustainable value. Each year, besides contributing monetary and product donations to charitable and needy organisations, the Group also acts as a sponsor for various educational functions and events.
- Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre (BSBCC), Sabah;
- The Breast Cancer Support Group Johor Bahru;
- Yayasan Humanistik Charity Run;
- Malaysia Red Crescent Johor Bahru Branch;
- Mission Schools for the children of Myanmar refugee parents in Malaysia.
2. Educational and Academic Support
- "Seeing is Believing" Programme, Sek Keb Pendidikan Khas Jalan Batu;
- Tunas Pelangi UPSR Academic Excellence Award, to reward selected standard six students who achieved all-As in their preceding year’s UPSR examination;
- Majlis Meraikan Pelajar Cemerlang UPSR, PMR, SPM dan STPM, for Tamil students in Negeri Sembilan;
- Chinese Poem Declamation Competition, organised by the National School Headmasters Association for primary and secondary students;
- To selected primary and secondary schools throughout Malaysia in support of their in-house events and activities.